About Me

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Narrative Generating Mind Wandering

This phrase has been sitting written on a Post-it note on my desk at work for some weeks now. I have not thrown it away because it strikes a chord in me every time I see it. It is a reminder that the story in my mind can take my focus away from the task at hand. It is a reminder to stay centered in my firm place. After all these weeks of not blogging, I return to the concept of firm place. It is a lasting idea. I don't think that I would recognize the gal who gave that presentation but the concept that she talked about has lasting value. The Post-it on my desk triggered my thought back in this direction and the thought I had as I awoke from a nap this afternoon about the importance of "chunking it" for ease of memory have combined to make me write in my blog again.

Also, reminds me about the 1944 Gilkey sermon wherein he talks about an hourglass and the sand going through one grain at a time. To stop get getting overwhelmed, we must think of an hourglass. Life can happen only one moment at a time. Memories are built one chunk at a time. "Cinch by the inch; hard by the yard"

Focusing on the moment of importance; staying in your firm place!

Emil Coue: "Every day in every way, I am getting better and better!"

Note that we don't say every day we get perfect! Don't let perfect get in the way of better!

No comments: